Thursday 12 June 2008

A quick update as to what I have dune thus far.

Decided to do the marathon on my birthday 27th of May.

Find a place
The UK contingent was fully booked until 2010 and the 2011 waiting list was about to close as well. I tried the Germans, the Yanks and at last I got a place via South Korea. I paid my deposit, still not quite sure that I am doing this.

Make up my mind
After a few days pondering I decided finally to fully commit to this. And subsequently tell Zoe (wife) who to some surprise was very supportive.

Identify a cause
It was very important to me to use this, a selfish act, to do some good. I spend some time investigating and talking to charities and finally decided to support Christian Aid. Not only do I fully support their work but also their ethos.

Made it public
My Birthday party on Saturday the 31st was a good place. Most of my closest and dearest friends was there and I realised that by telling them I need to do it else I will be left without a shred of credibility. Now I am truly committed.

Plan Training
I decided to start training when I have 9 months left which allow me to get a few things organised. After extensive search I found an incredible talented Personal Trainer, Deborah Rowe. (The former British Triple Jump Champion not the girl who married Michael Jackson) The have a personal training business and have agreed to sponsor me with her time. I am elated. The first and most crucial person on my team is a true professional and my confidence level have increased tenfold even though she have promised me nine months of severe suffering.

Get the Kit
Found expert no 2. Martin Likey, owner of Likey’s. MdS veteran and owner of the biggest and best Ultra ultra marathon shop in the UK. He agrees that I do not need any kit for at least a month into training apart from footwear. I had a few doubts about his footwear advice, (it would not have been like me to just roll over and agree would it?) so I consult with Steve Gilbert a friend from Malvern paragliding Club. He is a retired instructor at the British Paratroopers and is now in Dubai teaching the UAE army how to fall out of planes. I thought if anyone knows how to cross a dessert on foot, he should know.

He said the same as Martin. Sorry Martin.

So I am looking for a trial shoe that is very light, very breathable and can support my ultra wide foot and my 22 stone.

Prepare to receive donations
Spend half the day today setting up this Blog, the donations web site, and the online photo album

No comments: