Sunday 7 December 2008

Minus five and a half degrees Celsius

That was the temperature last night on the Brecon Ultra marathon. I left a banana in the car, it was frozen. I even saw a duck walking across the canal. I thought it was going to be a walk park. I was only worried that I will not make the 3 o'clock cut off time for the second round. well did I got put in my place. 20 miles, that was it no more, get me out of here.

What and idiot!!! if I have learned any thing this weekend it must be DO NOT QUIT EVER.
It is amazing the excuses your body comes up with to tell you to stop, you are to cold, your feet can not take anymore, there is no point to this, you need to go to work tomorrow, and the list goes on and on.

The truth is I was absolutely knackered and carried on 4 miles after I initially wanted to stop. but the truth also is that if I was stubborn enough, I could gave completed the last 8 miles. after all apart from loosing a toe nail and been slightly stiff today I am fine thus I can only conclude that I stopped too soon.

Well no more! After careful consideration, Which is quite unique for me I have decided, that from this day I will never ever pull out of any race or challenge again. I will careful consider what I enter in but once in, you will need to drag me out.

Well that is the end of the negatives.

The race was the most brilliant thing I have ever done, better than paragliding in Slovenia. even though an inaugural event the organisation was brilliant. I salute you guys especially the marshalls who were standing enroute in minus 5 plus wind.

Met some great people there. Jo was there too, she got her web site going now http://www.jokilkenny.com/ amazing woman, there was Cookie, who did the 3366 ultra last year oh yea and the only Brit who ever completed the 1000 mile iditarod.(http://www.iditarod.com/) but you know the most humbling thing I heard was from one of the guys, who told me afterwords that I inspired him. When he was finding it tough and wanting to quit he though, "Stuff it, if Kobus can do it so can I". wow it makes me feel all gooey.

I also learned about the long distance walkers association who arrange 20 to 100 mile events in the UK. A brilliant opportunity to get hours on my feet so I hope to meet up with them soon.

A BIG thanks to Matt who organised this event. I haven't been to another event yet but the organisation of this one was spot on and even the fiercest critic would not have found any faults This was also the word around the bunk house. Thanks mate and well done.

Then of course there it Martin and Sue from Likeys and who is getting married next weekend. Guys you are just amazing, you made us all feel so special and we know you do this because you like too and you care. I am just another guy who shop at Likeys, definitely not anyone special, no ambitions to became one of the top athletes that frequent the shop, still they do so much for me. Not only the bottomless pit of patience and knowledge they so willingly share but little things like the t-shirts we get at the end of the race. They specially ordered one my size. I had a fair amount of free T-Shirts before and they all end up as at car wash cloths. This is the first time I got given one my size and I am wearing it now while writing this blog. Let me just remind you that Martin have done about every extreme race on the planet from the MdS the Gobi challenge, etc. Still after hearing that I pulled out he send me this text message:

"I am so bloody proud of you - flippin well done. You have a load of positives to take back from this wobble and u have every right 2 b chuffed. Cheers Martin"

As I said I will

NEVER QUIT AGAIN, EVER

2 comments:

ShiZ said...

It was great meeting you Kobus, and I'm looking forward to seeing you in the MdS soon. NOBODY can say you've picked an easy challenge for yourself, where other people would seem barriers, you don't. I didn't complete my first Ultra either (this one was my second attempt), its gutting, you feel annoyed with yourself, but you come back stronger, more determined, and with more wisdom. Keep up the training... be the tortoise! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kobus,
had a read of your blog today, its inspiring stuff. Looks like the Beacons ultra has only focused your resolve and made you stronger,
Good stuff.
I'll even forgive the snoring if you save me a sausage ;)