Sunday 19 April 2009

Taking stock

I am over it now, the disappointment, the elation, the depression and at last able to look at things with sober eyes. Well as sober as I am capable of that is.

I had some amazing comments and emails from people around the world, many I never met still they encourage me in my preparation and gave me solace in the darker days when I was pulled and when the inevitable post MdS blues almost got the better of me.

Here are some of them:

  • So you dropped out. So what.. You have done incredibly well. I would not like to attempt this.. It looks an amazingly difficult race, in such difficult conditions.

  • Congratulations!. Astonishing you did it to Stage 3 what an effort! We are truly proud of you. Great style, great nerve and just amazing

  • I was really hoping Kobus would make it. I haven’t met him but I have been reading his blog and I find it inspirational...

  • There are a lot of people out there who have been inspired by him

  • someone send me this quote of Theodore Roosevelt
    “It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat”

  • At the 1980 Olympics, I shared a flat with Brendan Foster, Dave Moorcroft and Steve Cram. In the 2009 MDS, I shared at tent with Kobus Cilliers and I have already spoken to so many people about you. The others are just name drops, yours is the inspirational story. I am lined up to do several motivational talks and your story will most certainly feature. I can't wait to see how it ends in the years to come. It’s been a privilege to be part of the beginning.

I don’t want post these messages here to show off; I don’t quite understand why people say these things. I am nothing special just a fat bloke what want to get out there and show other fatties we don’t need toe give up, we can be part of live. Nevertheless, whether I understand it or not, these messages have been an immense source of strength and thanks to all of you, It was a most humbling experience. Both during the MdS and the support there after.

I have a few questions though...

  • Why settle for brave when you can be courageous?
  • Why inspire a few when you can arise a multitude?
  • Why except remarkable performance when spectacular is within reach?

That is why this has to continue. Tomorrow I will book my place for the 25th Marathon des Sables staring in 11 months and 6 days from now. This time my aim is not to be on the start line. This time it is medal or bust.

1 comment:

James said...

Hi Kobus,

I only met you briefly in the desert but it was easy to see how much you wanted to finish. I have no doubt you will do it next year.

Perhaps you can make another 100 Euro bet with Doc Trotters and this time your charity will win :-)